UPDATE (02/02/2015): What It's Like When You're an American Using Britain's NHS
UPDATE (11/19/2014): Canadian woman hit with $950K medical bill after unexpectedly giving birth in US hospital
UPDATE (6/21/2014): US Doctors migrating north to escape dysfunctional US health insurance system. pnhp.org/news/2014/june/us-doctors-migrating-north
UPDATE (05/16/2014): Canadians love their system, contrary to US health insurance lobby propaganda: pnhp.org/news/2014/march/doctor-who-schooled-us-senator-thrilled-by-canadian-support
UPDATE (12/31/2013): Outrageous costs of U.S. healthcare: viralnova.com/hospital-bill/
UPDATE (10/31/2013): LISTEN TO REASON! The following two links both let you listen in on an intelligent conversation between host David Feldman and Dr. Paul Song and Dr. Nancy Niparko from Physicians for a National Health Program. They explain why America needs a single payer healthcare system right now. The first link is the most important five (5) minutes of the show. The second is the entire show.
UPDATE (10/3/2013) Another release of damning statistics which prove the U.S. system of healthcare is extremely dysfunctional: huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/03/health-care-costs
[Note: first published at Hubpages.com on 06/21/12; the comments immediately following were copied from that location for reference. Please comment here on blogspot.com.
Updates to this post will continue to appear above this line]
Single Payer Government Run Healthcare Q&A: Some interesting questions arose when I asked my Facebook friends if they were as ready for a single payer system as I am. I decided to answer them here, on my blog, so a potentially wider readership could chime in, too...
Disease-care, or Healthcare?
|Have you checked your |
blood pressure today? I did.Source: © cienpies.net
"52 percent of doctors would get out of medicine if they could. So many young doctors are recognizing how broken the system is..." -from Escape Fire, a new healthcare documentary; read the interview with the maker here.
Do Canadians come here for important health care needs (in statistically meaningful numbers)?
- No,(theincidentaleconomist.com/ wordpress/ phantoms-in-the-snow/)
- No, (pnhp.org/ news/ 2012/january/ us-trained-doctor- demystifies-canadas-health-system)
- A thousand times, No! (pnhp.org/ facts/ why_the_us_ needs _a_single_payer_ health_system.php)
Are Canadian doctors leaving Canada to practice in the United States (in statistically meaningful numbers)?
- No, (theincidentaleconomist.com/ wordpress/ phantoms-in-the-snow-ctd/),
- Why would they? (student.pnhp.org/ content/ what_about_physician_salaries.php)
Has an elaborate, private-insurer-supporting mythology emerged surrounding the supposed evils of the Canadian system?
|Insurance industry lobbyists are like this scary clown: |
they wear suits, they have the blood of
innocents on their hands, and they are
deceptively masked. And they don't sleep well at night.
- YES, (denverpost.com/ opinion/ ci_12523427)
- YES, (snopes.com/ politics/ medical/ canada.asp)
- YES, (pnhp.org/news/ 2012/ june/ 5-myths-about- canadas- health-care-system)
- YES, (chsrf.ca/ Migrated/ PDF/myth18_e.pdf) -> needs a PDF reader
- YES, (pnhp.org/ facts/ myths_ memes.pdf) -> needs a PDF reader
- YES, (pnhp.org/ resources/ myths-as-barriers)
- YES! (pnhp.org/ facts/ single-payer- faq#socialized)
It's reminiscent of misguided corporate/political PR campaigns of days gone by:
- retronaut.co/ 2011/08/ ddt-is-good-for-me-e-e/ DDT is Good For Me!
- retronaut.co/2011/06/cocaine-tooth-drops/ Cocaine On Tooth Pains, and Rose-colored Glasses, These are a few of my favorite things...
|The Finnish love saunas, |
and universal healthcare!Source: http://www.sxc.hu/profile/_marta
Would an increase in welfare state measures be bad for the economy?
- No, (remappingdebate.org/ article/ business-interests-lauding-welfare-state?) -> Denmark's business sector prospers because of their healthy welfare state
- No, (finland.fi/ Public/ default.aspx? contentid =220109& nodeid=37602&culture= en-US) -> Finland's Welfare State, 3.0
- No,(pnhp.org/news/2002/september/caw-auto-makers-laud-health-system) -> GM pays more in their US operations on health care costs than on steel! I mean, they use a lot of steel, okay?
- No, (addictinginfo.org/ 2012/06/24/ government-is-the-problem-dont-tell-scandinavia/)
- No, (theglobalist.com/storyid.aspx?storyid=9659)
- No! (thinkprogress.org/ health/2008 /11/18/170556/ auto-health/)
|No, Virginia, there is no Santa Claus, |
but every December,
the North American Aerospace Defense Command
will use your dad's taxpayer dollars
to mock this childish fantasy of yours!
photo source: Jim Miles
Doesn't the U.S. Government always screw up everything it does?
- No, (gibill.va.gov/benefits/history _timeline) -> GI Bill
- No,(nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo) -> Man on the Moon
- No, (geoplatform.gov) -> awesome Map source
- No, (tva.com/abouttva/) -> Tennessee Valley Authority made country music possible
- No, (consumerfinance.gov/the-bureau) -> a new agency, but LOOOONG overdue!
- No, (lsc.gov) -> Legal Services for you and me in civil suits, if we need a lawyer but can't afford one; may not be around much longer, since the Bush administration squeezed it almost to death.
- No, (history.navy.mil) -> Two words: D-Day. Or is that one?
- No, (weather.gov) -> Now that I live in hurricane country, they seem more relevant...
- No, (cdc.gov/about/ history) -> because diseases have no self-control
- No, (www.fhwa.dot.gov/ interstate) -> Socialized Roads! Thank you, Pres. Eisenhower!
- No, (ssa.gov/aboutus) -> It's not going away; that's another prominent myth
- No, (ftc.gov/bcp/ about) -> Bureau of Consumer Protection: you need to make it illegal for local car dealers to use sound in their TV commercials; all in favor? Aye!
- No, (si.edu/About) -> The Smithsonian Institution. I feel smarter just saying it!
- No, (loc.gov/about/history.html) -> The Library of Congress: The best library in the world, and their online offerings are amazing.
- No, (copyright.gov/about) -> Think about how this would kill our economy, if it wasn't managed as well as it is...
- No, (usps.gov) -> The US Postal Service: Where would you be without a zip code?
- No, (archives.gov/ about/ history) -> To be able to stand in the same room with the U.S. Constitution, and have school children smack you in the stomach with their backpacks, and step on your toes, is a sacred honor for all Americans. Thank You, National Archives.
- No, (data.gov/ about) -> brand new step toward freedom of information to all, through the Internet
- No! (http://en.wikipedia.org/ wiki/ ARPANET) -> The U.S. government invented the Internet (insert a snide Al Gore joke here; I'll wait)
- the list could go on... usa.gov is a good portal to all services...
Now, if the question is whether modern campaign-cycle-frenzied U.S. politicians screw up more often than not, I might tend to agree there.
The one sector of the economy with the most to lose in the switch to a single-payer, government-run healthcare system is the current private health insurance industry. Expect the most vehement lobbying/mythologizing from those mega-corporations and the media outlets they support and the candidates and elected officials they support. But that's just common sense, right?
Newsflash Headline: Campaign-Addicted Politicians May Not Make Good Decisions!
Good Ideas for a Single Payer system for the United States
|What would Jesus do... |
about your pre-existing conditions?
What's a good place to start browsing information about proposals for a single payer system for the United States?
(Disclaimer: I am NOT affiliated with any of the pro-single payer organizations linked above or below!)
Is Canada The Only Country That Does This?
- Of course not! CNN just did a good article on this topic: http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/28/health/countries-health-care/index.html
UPDATE (8/13/2013): GREAT NEWS!The Senator who leads the majority party in the United States Senate just made some amazing comments about single payer healthcare. He has basically predicted that eventually we will have it in this country. He calls Obamacare a necessary step toward single payer.
Please read the following story of Harry Reid's recent ground-breaking comments: